Tuesday 18 June 2013

Chocolate Chip Ginger Nuts


It was Father's day this weekend so I decided to make these for my dad as a bit of an extra present. He always complains about my baking (even though he always seems to be able to eat it) but I know he likes ginger so I thought these would be good for him. 
I had a bit of an issue with this recipe myself, as I found the dough originally quite crumbly and I couldn't form the balls without it falling apart! But if you find this is the case as well then just add some more golden syrup until it sticks together by itself.



I'm not a massive fan of ginger myself but I do quite like these; I think the chocolate dampens down the ginger in it so there is just a bit of an after taste in them. If you wanted them a bit more ginger-y then you can use a bit less chocolate and add some more ground ginger, it's up to you really! 

Ingredients

50g dark chocolate, chopped into chunks
1 tsp ground ginger
110g self-raising flour
10g cocoa
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
50g butter
40g granulated sugar
50g golden syrup (around 2 tbsp)

Recipe

1) Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4 and line a baking sheet.
2) Sift the flour, cocoa, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl.
3) Using your fingertips, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
4) Stir in the sugar and chopped chocolate.
5) Add the golden syrup and mix everything with a wooden spoon.
6) Squeeze the mixture together with your hands, then divide the mixture into 16 portions.
7) Roll each portion into a ball then place on the line sheet, well spaced apart as they spread a bit whilst cooking.
8) Flatten each slightly then bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes.
9) Cool on the baking tray for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment