Some of the decorations were done by my other half, so this is a really fun activity to do with friends/partners/kids as something a little bit different. Just be wary because the sprinkles do end up everywhere! The yellow cakes have lemon extract in the icing and some of the red ones have strawberry flavouring to give whoever gets one a bit of a surprise when they bite in.
180g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
3 medium eggs
210g self-raising flour
220g icing sugar
2-3 tablespoons water
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4 and line two 12-hole cupcakes tins. I managed to make 18 cakes out of this mix.
2) Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3) Add the vanilla essence, eggs and 1 tablespoon of flour.
4) Beat until combined then gradually add the flour, making sure to keep mixing.
5) Spoon the mixture in the cupcake cases then bake for 20-25 minutes.
6) Leave to cool in the tin slightly then remove and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
7) Once fully cool, place the icing sugar in a bowl then add a tablespoon of water at a time until the icing is the right consistency. If you're using flavourings/colourings then make sure it is quite thick as the flavours/colours will thin it a bit more.
8) Divide into separate bowls for each colour of icing you need.
9) Decorate to your heart's content!