These are perfect if you don't have a very sweet tooth; using set honey instead of the clear kind means that it isn't as sweet so you just get quite a nice background sweetness when you eat them.
There was a slight issue though, in that I managed to make one which looked a bit like a manatee! I think it gives them an endearing quality though and doesn't detract from the taste!
280g plain flour
70g caster sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
35g melted butter
50g set honey
Lemon drizzle syrup topping:-
25g granulated sugar
1) Preheat the oven to 220C/400F/gas mark 7 and thoroughly grease a 12-hole muffin tray.
2) Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
3) In a separate bowl mix the egg, milk, butter and honey.
4) Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing as little as possible.
5) Spoon the mixture into muffin cases and bake for 20 minutes.
6) Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tray for 5 minutes before making the syrup.
7) Place the juice of the lemon in a pan with the granulated sugar and heat until bubbling.
8) Drizzle the syrup onto the muffins whilst in the tray then remove to cool completely on a wire rack.