Friday 24 May 2013

Caterpillar Cake

Yes, I have made a caterpillar cake. It's a bit more of an adult themed one though because it's really rich with the ganache in the middle instead of just cream. I'm happy with the way the roll worked though; it was my first attempt at a Swiss roll and I thank Mary Berry for her recipe and helpful tips for it being successful!


If I make another one, I'll definitely make the face different and do the same thing as supermarkets do by making a flat chocolate face then attaching to the cake. As you can see, my method didn't look too great!


I really enjoyed making this cake. I officially finish all of my university work in two weeks and so this is a symbol of my denial at having to grow up and enter the big wide world! It's also really fun to make just to work out what to use to make it look like a caterpillar. Obviously I used strawberry pencils for the legs and antennae because I figured they were the closest I could get to caterpillar legs!


I had a lot of white chocolate buttons left after I did the eyes as well so I thought I'd give it some unique spots along it's back; I personally think it gives it a bit more of a caterpillar feel! 


The presentation obviously leaves a lot to be desired but for my first attempt I'm pretty pleased with it!

Ingredients

Sponge:-
4 large eggs
100g caster sugar
65g self-raising flour
40g cocoa powder
Ganache:-
150ml double cream
150g dark chocolate
To decorate:-
Milk chocolate
Buttons
Strawberry pencils

Recipe

1) Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas mark 6 and lightly grease and line a 33cmx23cm Swiss roll tin.
2) Whisk the eggs and sugar in a bowl until the mixture is pale, light and frothy.
3) Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the bowl and carefully fold into the mixture, being careful not to beat any of the air out of the mixture.
4) Pour the mixture into the lined tin and spread evenly into the corners.
5) Bake in the middle of the oven for 8-10 minutes or until well risen and firm to the touch.
6) Place a piece of baking parchment bigger than the tin on a work surface and carefully invert the cake onto the paper and remove the lining piece of paper.
7) Score a mark 2.5cm in along one of the longer edges.
8) Starting with this edge, begin to tightly roll up the sponge, making sure the paper underneath is inside the roll then allow to cool.
9) To make the ganache, heat the cream in a pan until warm but not boiling.
10) Remove from the heat and add the chocolate, then stir until the chocolate is completely melted.
11) Uncurl the Swiss roll and remove the paper, then spread the ganache on top and reroll tightly.
12) Melt the milk chocolate and smother the roll in chocolate then decorate with caterpillar themed toppings!


No comments:

Post a Comment