If you don't fancy the toffee sauce on top, then you can leave it out as the cake itself is quite moist even with the dates in it. I got the recipe from the book "1001 Cupcakes, Cookies & other tempting treats" which has loads of great cupcake and traybake recipes in it!
175g pitted dates, chopped
175ml boiling water
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
140g caster sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
175g self-raising flour
85g soft light brown sugar
2 tbsp single cream or milk
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4 and grease and line a 20cm square cake tin.
2) Place the dates, water and bicarbonate of soda in a small pan and heat gently for 5 minutes, until the dates are soft.
3) Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until fluffy.
4) Beat in the eggs, vanilla essence and dates.
5) Sift in the flour and beat into the mixture.
6) Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 40 minutes, or until firm and shrinking from the sides.
7) To make the toffee, add all of the ingredients into a small pan and heat gently for 3 to 4 minutes.
8) Prick the cake all over with a skewer then pour the hot toffee sauce evenly over the top.
9) Leave to cool in the tin then cut into squares to serve.